More Bread

This is my quest to get MORE BREAD (ie money), get rid of debt and other random things in my life.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Charity- Not just a Girl's Name

Though I did date a girl named Charity, I'm not talking about her. I'm talking about charity; as in giving something away. It might be a foreign concept to some, especially as we focus so much on earning, saving and investing money. But charity doesn't have to be just about money. You can also give away your time and talent, as well as your money.

So why should you give? It will make you feel good about yourself. You'll be helping another human being. You'll make a difference, however small or big. You'll make the world a better place. It helps to put everything in perspective. An act of kindness lasts a lifetime.

OK, ok, you want to give. But how? I'm glad you asked. There are the basic ways like giving to a church, a university, a museum, a food bank, or a homeless shelter. Everyone hears about the million dollar donations to places like these, but these groups need all the help they can get in both time and money.

I encourage you to find some creative ways to give. For example, maybe you believe in a particular cause. Why not volunteer for an organization? Feel strongly about education? Raise money for a scholarship. (I once climbed a mountain to help raise funds). Want a more tangible experience? Try Habitat for Humanity. Want an international experience, check out Crooked Trails. Care about the environment? Don't have a lot of time; how about 15 minutes? None of these fit what you're looking for, then start your own charity.

There are many ways to give and many organizations that need your help. Don't blindly give away your time and money. Make sure your giving is being used appropriately. Do some research, then give generously and often. It'll make a world of difference. For you and everyone.

[ed. note: I should add that this post was included in the problogger.net "How To.." writing project. There are over 150 How To posts in just two days. Later I'll post the top five that I like.]

6 Comments:

At 9/20/2006 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I love tithing at my local church. Why not give back what God gave me! I love giving my time to help others also. Nice contribution to the Group Writing Project at ProBlogger. My How To is up also.

 
At 9/20/2006 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree. One way to help is to help your local animal shelter to find homes for pets who have no voice in their fate. You can volunteer, donate, foster, or adopt! Pets depend on us. Thank you.

 
At 9/20/2006 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post...why not help find a cure to cancer or parkinson and more...well done. There are so many different ways to help. Children who are starving, people without homes, people with disease...animals being rescued..whatever your cause it, there's a way to help others.

 
At 9/20/2006 9:41 AM, Blogger Dacouver said...

matt-Tithing is a great way to give back. Stewardship is an excellent concept and could be a post all by itself.

Chow rescue-Pets need our help too! Thanks for posting.

jersey girl-I agree. Choose a cause and likely someone also believes in it and can help you make a difference.

 
At 9/21/2006 8:23 AM, Blogger Mama Duck said...

Definitely, a great reminder as well! Our how-to is up as well if you'd like to check it out!!

 
At 9/22/2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Great suggestions - now if we can just get more folks to get out and DO it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home